Today is an exceptionally difficult day for our family. On May 19, 2016 at 6:11 pm, my grandmother entered in to the gates of Heaven.
It was truly a beautiful homecoming in that she was surrounded on this side of with many of her family members, and she was greeted in to Jesus' arms with many family members on that side as well.
How miraculous is it knowing that she is now resting in the arms of our Father above?!
Today, I will join my family in saying our final goodbyes to the most inspirational woman I have ever met.
From the time I was a little girl, I always remember my grandmother being a constant present in my life. For some reason, my earliest memory of my grandmother is when my mother sat my brother and I down and told us that she and my father were getting a divorce. I was about 6 at the time, and I just remember my grandmother being there too. From then on, she was a constant present. Whether it was walking down her driveway every day after school, helping her in the garden, or picking strawberries in the strawberry field, we were just always together. She taught me how to be a lady and how to be a friend. And looking back now, I know that she also taught me how to be a mother.
I will always remember shelling purple hull peas on her back porch, making homemade rolls in her kitchen (and sneaking bites of the raw dough), picking a switch from the peach trees in her backyard, and the time she washed my mouth out with soap from when I called my brother a "butt-hole" and she overheard me. I remember our trips to Colorado, the time she took me deer hunting, and when she joined us on our first trip to Florida.
My grandmother exuded class and elegance, but she had a flashy side to her as well. Her crazy came out when she was with her closest friends and family.
I will never forget when I told my family I was pregnant with Gretchen. My grandmother was less than thrilled, which was not the reaction I was expecting! In fact, she offered me money in exchange to not have any more children! Ha!
When Gretchen was born, I had to return to work shortly after she was born. Since many daycare centers wouldn't take babies before 6 weeks, my grandmother saved the day, and lived with us for a month while I went to work. She would give Gretchen daily baths and rock her more often than I wanted! And when DJ moved to Tulsa, leaving Gretchen and I behind, when I was 7-9 months pregnant with Megan, my grandmother was there once again during the last month of my pregnancy, just in case I went in to labor early.
Our annual Branson trips were her favorite! We went every Thanksgiving, and my favorite was when we celebrated her 70th birthday there.
She was always up for an adventure! When my mom planned a 30th birthday cruise for my sister in law and myself, my grandma tagged along too!
She sometimes cursed like a sailor and she could bargain a deal any time.
She taught me that furniture could never be arranged too many times. In fact, i'm fairly certain that John the Baptist has moved her furniture around at least 5 times and will do so a half a dozen times more before she has everything in its rightful place.
When in doubt, fix it with hot glue. One time, she reupholstered an entire bench of mine using just hot glue.
And even though she tried to talk us in to not having any more children, she loved them when they came along.
The best things in life, I learned from my grandmother.
Like, how to make her homemade rolls. Thankfully, I have the recipe.
And that family is the most important. It doesn't matter what happens, family should always be there. She told me all of the time, that I should be nice to my brother, because one day, he'll be all that I have. I'm so thankful for that piece of wisdom.
Today, we lay her to rest. She is at peace and she is rejoicing with the angels in Heaven. Our time together was short. We had 33 years, but I could certainly use 33 more.


Hugs my friend. Xoxo
ReplyDelete