This year, my goal is to read more. I'm working on one book a month, which I know doesn't sound like a lot, but with a full time job, three kiddos, my Young Living business, a husband that is gone a lot... I don't have a ton of time to carve out for reading.
I started Becoming by Michelle Obama right after Christmas, and it took me the entire month of January and some of February to get through it.
I chose this book, because I really wanted to learn more about our former president's wife. I don't consider myself a democrat or really a republican, but Michelle seemed so down to Earth as the First Lady, so I thought this would be a good choice for my first book of 2019.
Becoming starts off as Michelle introduces us to herself as a child. Her family's home, her school, what her parent's taught her, how her mother fought for her education.
The book carries us in to her high school career, her friends, how she choose her college, and those that influenced her life.
Eventually, we learn how she and Barrack met, their relationship, their differences, and what she had to let go, in order to make their marriage work.
I had always assumed that she was supportive of his political career. She shares how he became interested in politics, how his mind worked, and his passion for helping people.
Because I don't consider myself a political person, I really have never paid attention to initial campaigns, how important the state of Iowa is, and everything involved.
While reading the book, my heart went out to Michelle, because she strived to maintain balance between her husband's political career and a sense of normalcy for her children. She was a mother first, and I completely related with her for being a working mom, and all that she had to balance.
Eventually, she shares about the transition from the Bush's exit from the White House to their entrance. How Barbara Bush helped make her transition as seamless as possible, but that no one really told her how to be a First Lady. There's no rule book.
She shared how life was so different in the White House... how she chose the girls school, meeting new moms, how their Secret Service detail worked, and her agendas- the garden she planted at the White House, and the importance of healthy meals and tackling childhood obesity, as well as offering support to military families.
I think more than anything, I realized that life as First Lady was not easy for Michelle. I mean, how could it be when the entire world was watching and ready to criticize every move? I can't imagine, the pressure that she was under.
She speaks openly about her feelings for President Trump, but, as a woman, I can identify with how she feels.
I'd definitely recommend the book, even if you're a republican ;) Above all, Michelle was a hard working woman, with career aspirations and a mother. Again, I learned so much about campaigning and I appreciate the political process even more now.
The book is definitely lengthy, over 400 pages, so it took me a while to read through it.
I'd love to know your thoughts on Michelle Obama, and if you've read the book.
No comments:
Post a Comment