Wednesday, October 19, 2022

The Hat is Back

A few weeks ago, Texas played their Red River Rivalry game against Oklahoma. The first year we lived in Texas the girls and I went to Dallas, but I got sick with strep throat and we never made it to the game. The 2nd year, we went with some friends from Oklahoma, then I took the girls during the 2020 Covid season. After winning the first year, we lost the next 3 in a row. I had sworn off the game and didn't attend last year, thinking I was the reason we had lost, but since we lost when I didn't go, I figured what the heck- i'm not the cause of the loosing streak, and we made plans for me to attend again. This year, DJ's mom flew down for the game! 

She flew in to Austin Friday morning, and after helping me clean house and organize the girls, we dropped Megan off at gymnastics, Adalyn at a friend's house and we drove to Dallas. We arrived around 7:30, got settled in our room, and waited on DJ to finish meetings. 
We walked to dinner, had a few drinks and called it a night. 
I was up around 6:30 Saturday morning so I could squeeze in some yoga, shower, and get ready for the game. 

My dress is here

I feel like it's always hot during the Texas OU weekend, and this dress was comfy and kept me cool! 
Roxanne and I left the hotel a little after 8, grabbed a bite at Starbucks, and then headed to the fair grounds. We found our parking, made a mad dash to the bathroom- ha! bought fair tickets, and then headed right inside to our seats. We had about an hour of sitting in the stadium before kick off, and we debated walking around the fair, but I always get nervous before a game, and it doesn't go away until I'm in my seat, so we were good waiting! 
The football world brings us togehter with amazing people. Micki was the football secretary while we were at Tulsa, and she and her husband have retired to the Dallas area. We had tickets to the game and asked if they would wanto to join us! It was so good to see them and share the experience with them. It was even better that they weren't OU fans ;) DJ came up to say hi before he had to get to work.
A quick pre-game picture. 
The game was amazing. It helped that it was a shut out 49-0, but we definitely had a fun time. 
Longhorn nails and bracelets. 
We made it down to the field for post game celebrations, and DJ was no where to be found. 
All I wanted to do was run and hug him, and I kept searching in a mass of football players, staff, and families. While we were on the field celebrating, DJ was in the press box working on game film so the coaches could watch film on the way home. 
The hat gets passed back and forth between Texas or OU depending on who wins. We were glad it was coming home with us.

Since DJ was no where to be found, my mother in law and I took a post game celebration picture! 
DJ made it down to the tunnel to finish up film, and we went to hang with him until he could snap some pictures. Sam Ellingher walked by and congratulated DJ, and since Adalyn has the biggest crush on Sam, I had to send her this picture. 
Finally, a post game picture. 
Love this guy! 
And a pic with his mama. 
DJ and the golden hat. Definitely going to have to frame this one. 
While DJ was finishing up film and packing, Roxanne and I walked to get a Fletcher's Corny Dog. They're a must have at the Texas State Fair. 
Her first corny dog ever! 
We brought DJ one too! 

Once he finished up with film and working, we were able to get on the road and back to Austin. 

What a weekend! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment