Monday, March 8, 2021

Homeschool Fun!

Homeschooling has takern a weird turn lately. I feel like I'm to the point where it's not new anymore and I'm at the end of the year rush to get things done and concepts taught in case the girls return to school next year. So, I won't lie that I'm stressed out about the end of the year, and I'm worried that we will still be doing school work until the end of June, and that freaks me out a bit! 

In all honesty, I'd love to keep the girls home another year, and I'm not quite sure that will happen unless schools look the same next year. For us, we cannot quarantine a child for 2 weeks, because we both need to work and who would watch our possibly exposed children? It's easier to homeschool than play the on again off again game with the school district. 

That being said, we are trying to have some fun mixed in with learning, and I decided that every Friday in April needs to be Fun Friday! I'm currently working a lot of Friday's to make up missed speech therapy sessions and that also has me feeling behind. I promised myself that I wouldn't work any Friday in April. 

Here's a peek at the fun we've been having. 
Adalyn finished up her 3rd unit in The Good & the Beautiful workbook. She's using this workbook for reading and language arts. At the end of the unit, she has games to play as a review and she absolutely loves them! We will only have 2 units left to finish for this year, but each unit takes us about 5 weeks to complete. 
Back in November, we found a big, fat, green caterpillar. He made a cocoon in one of our flowers, but never came out as a butterfly. We took the cocoon and decided to dissect it. 
Gross. 

That's all I can say about this one. As we shook the cocoon, you could hear the caterpillar loose inside. The cocoon was hard to cut in to. As I cut it, I accidentally cut into the caterpillar and green juice squirted out. The little guy was brown and dead (obviously) but I wasn't expecting the squirt of juice. We didn't really dig much further! 

Ooblek! 
Megan watched a Netflix science show about Ooblek and asked if we could make some. Thankfully I had the ingredients on hand so we mixed some up.

You just need 1 cup corn starch to 1/2 c. water (we doubled the recipe) and you can add food coloring if you'd like. 
When you apply pressure, ooblek is a solid, but when the pressure isn't applied, it becomes a liquid. 

The girls played in it for a while and made a huge mess! They had a blast! 

No comments:

Post a Comment