Monday, January 31, 2022

Gretchen's 14th Birthday

I blinked, and somehow our oldest daughter turned 14. It's crazy to me that we only have 4 more solid years before she moves out and goes to college. She's already counting down the days, and I'm wishing we could go back in time. I always try to surprise the girls with a fun family celebration on their actual birthday, and this year was no different.
Last Tuesday, Megan had gymnastics and our aunt took Gretchen to dinner & a movie, which left Adalyn and I plenty of time to bake a cake and decorate. 
We made a delicious gluten free chocolate cake with lots of sprinkles! 
Every year, we re-use Gretchen's party hat from her 1st birthday.
And every year, I try to take a "last day as a ___ year old" picture. So, here's her last day as a 13 year old. 
And one with momma too!
I was feeling all sentimental and looking back at her baby pictures. This one makes me laugh every time, because who doesn't want to smash in to cake and have it all over?!
And how precious is this one of her. 
DJ was out of town on her birthday morning and we were all trying to rush out the door, so we skipped morning celebrations, and opted for celebrations after school. By that time, DJ was home and we could celebrate as a family. 
She opened presents and got lots of little random things from paper clips to sticky note tabs, nail polish, cricut vinyl and more. 
Then we sang to her and she blew out her candles. 
Precious, precious girl. 
Gretchen didn't really know what she wanted for her birthday, so I gave her some suggestions, and she asked if she could get highlights; I think she was shocked when I told her she could! I messaged our hairstylist, and he was able to get her in Saturday night, so we took her in for a much needed cut and a subtle hint of color with a balayage. 
Here's a little before
and after.

The cut is perfect, and  do wish the color was a bit brighter, but it should lighten up with the balayage and I'll be honest, the change isn't huge or shocking, which is perfect for a 14 year old.

This weekend we are celebrating with friends and having a bowling birthday party!

Gretchen Rose, I'm not sure how you grew up on us, but you certainly did. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment