Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Girl Mom~ In the Kitchen!

I thought I'd do a little something different for my Girl Mom post today! Andrea over at Momfessionals is hosting a room tour and today's theme is kitchen & dining room! I really wanted to link up and I really wanted to get a Girl Mom post up since I missed last week, so I'm combining the two! 
To see my other Girl Mom posts go here. You can read about taking care of my girls' hair, instilling Christ, and our favorite books!

First up, a little kitchen tour!
This side of my kitchen is probably my favorite. I love the crisp white decorations at the top. I want my entire house to be this white, neutral, organic and clean. But with three girls, that's not possible!
This is the little corner by my sink. I have a little flower pot that Gretchen made me for mother's day, our roll of paper towels, and a hand towel hook to hang up any kitchen towels we use… I also have my bottle of water! Behind that you'll see my bow bin!  

(My craft room shares a space with Gretchen's bedroom, I've been working on bows in the living room after she goes to bed so they usually end up on the bar when i'm done!)
On the other side of the sink is my kitchen aid, formula and milk bags, and medicine! I keep telling myself that I need to put our medicine away, but with young girls, I like having the easy access because someone seems to need medicine, or have their temperature taken all of the time! 
I use a little glass pedestal to keep lotions and hand sanitizer and a little candle. I'm wanting to spray paint this piece, but I'm not sure which color. I love it because it keeps my soaps off the counter top. 
Our island always ends up as a catch all space. I have a little stack of magazines or mail, art work, a bow collection and Gretchen's daily notebook. 
Our dining room space changes with the season, but after Easter, I wanted to keep it fresh and easy. I let the girls use placemats, but I don't put them out all the time, and in the center, I just have a vase full of pears. 

I was obviously ready to declutter my table after Easter!
I kept my side table fun and kid friendly for spring with mason jars, paper flowers, paper straws, and our weekly Bible verse!

Eventually, I'm wanting to chalk board paint an old cabinet door we have and hang it above this table. 
When the girls bring home tons of art work, I hang it on our pantry door. The girls love seeing their pieces hung up! I would love our pantry door to have cork board pieces for their art. 
Megan and Gretchen both have aprons for helping me when we're in the kitchen! Each apron has their name monogrammed on them, and I'm wanting to make the girls chef hats as well! 


We are in our kitchen more than any room in our house. I feel like we live in our kitchen! I want to keep the kitchen kid friendly and I want the girls to be able to help and enjoy our time together while we're preparing dinner, baking, or cleaning up!

I put all of the girls dishes in a low cabinet so they can reach everything. The girls are able to open it and get out their own plates, bowls, or cups. 

Megan (almost 3) is even fixing her own bowls of cereal while Gretchen (6) will fix a cup of water. I also have them get out their own plates when it's time to fix their plates for dinner. Then, there's no whining because one girl got the pink plate and the other one didn't!

The girls are asked to unload their own cups, plates, and bowls from the dishwasher, because they can easily reach them! 
We have this little barnyard magnet set on our dishwasher. Megan still loves to play with it, and Adalyn is beginning to discover the toy too!
I also keep a well stocked supply of kitchen tools and mixing bowls that are fun for the girls to use! We have tons of cookie cutters, a pair of plastic scissors, fun cupcake liners (that I often use in Gretchen's school lunch), a piggy pancake pan, and mixing bowls that won't break! 

I constantly feel like i'm trying to clean the clutter out of our kitchen and after seeing how kid friendly Andrea's kids space is in her breakfast nook, i'm dying to make our kitchen even more appealing to my girls! 

How do you incorporate your girls into the kitchen?
Do they help you cook?
What "kitchen" chores do they have?

Follow me everyday via GFC or Bloglovin
Instagram: @ewelte
Twitter: @elainewelte

4 comments:

  1. We have a low cabinet with the kids stuff in it as well! Except mine is not nearly as organized as yours. hahaha
    Thanks so much for linking up!!!
    :) Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little side table with the springy mason jars. How adorable for little girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great kitchen and idea for the kids cabinet! I need to think of doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your kids cabinet! That is such a great idea!
    I don't have little one's yet, but will definitely remember this when I do!

    ReplyDelete