This past spring, I started a journey that I wasn't sure I could keep up. I was sick and tired of feeling bad about my body. Aren't we all tired of feeling that way? I was looking for a magic cure when DJ said "if". "If you can start running, and start really working out, every single day, then maybe. Prove to me that you really want to change, because some magic drink isn't really going to help."
And, so I run. I run because my husband told me to run. He was a runner. I am not a runner. I loathe running. I was the girl in high school who would do anything to get out of running in p.e. In fact, I would run under the hurdles just so I wouldn't have to jump over them. The coaches at my high school would have never asked me to try out for the track team. Thank goodness I didn't have to run for dance team, or else, I might have quit that too.
So, I started running, and slowly started running more and more. I had good weeks. I had bad weeks. I had good runs and bad runs. My stamina was horrible. But, I kept at it.
At the end of May, I had a friend ask for people to join a little runner's challenge. The plan was to run one mile each day between Memorial Day and the 4th of July. If you did, you would've ran 40 miles in that time frame. So, I joined the challenge. I needed something to really motivate me. I wasn't sure that I could do it, since we were moving, we would be going on vacation, because summer, and frankly, because I could easily come up with 100 different excuses.
DJ would tell me to wake up early, get my run in before the girls woke up, before it got too hot. Some days I did. Other days, I would wait and run around 8:30 or 9 pm, because the sun was going down, the girls were in bed, and I didn't have to feel guilty about being away from them. I made sure that everything was done so I could have my run.
I successfully completed over 40 miles in that time span. Now, there were days that I did not run, but I did try to make up for it on the days that I did run. I even made it a point to run on vacation.
DJ was and has been my rock. If it weren't for him. I would have given up a long time ago. He has been SO supportive of me! He'll wake me up early if I ask him or he'll let me go at night and he'll take over bed time. This for me has been huge. As a mom, I think we feel guilty about having "me time" whether it's running or getting a manicure, we don't want to spoil ourselves or take time for ourselves because there's something else we could be, should be doing. Because of him, I haven't had to feel as guilty. DJ has been an encourager, an enabler, and more. He has no idea what it means to me, when I say to him, "I'm going on a run, can you do XYZ." and he says yes!
I thought I'd share a few of the "tips" i've been using to help myself run:
- Get a great pair of running shoes. I wear Nike's.
- Pick out some cute running shorts.
- Find a great sports bra.
- I use the Nike app to track my runs. It will track when I'm walking or running, my miles, and it times me. I can also have friends, and I can see how much they've been running, so I can beat them! It has a built in GPS, and a music feature. It also has built in challenges. At the end of my run, I can share on facebook, and if I've done well, the app has built in encouragements that will spew out at the end of my runs.
- Find an accountability group. During the 40 mile challenge, we would check in every day. Now, we are still checking in whenever we run.
- If you can't run. Walk.
- I do a lot of intervals. I walk a .05 to warm up, and then I try to run .10. Then I walk and then I run some more. I have only been able to run (without stopping) a 1/2 of a mile.
- When I'm running, I pick out a spot to run to. Once I get to that spot, I pick out a new spot. Or, I'll tell myself to just run 4 houses, then walk 4, then run 4.
- I don't look up when I'm running. DJ always encourages me to, but I like to look down at the road and see my legs, my feet move. Plus, then I don't have to think how far it is to the mail box or the street light I picked out as my goal.
- Do just one mile. One mile isn't hard. It still takes me an average of 16 minutes, but just one means that I did something and that I'm out of the house for only a short period of time.
- Find a really good work out station! I jam to Taylor Swift, 80s, or even Christian music.

In July I ran just 18 miles total. My goal for August is to run 25 miles total.
I hope that this will encourage you that anyone can do it! Start somewhere. Just start!
If you need an accountability partner, let me know! I'd love to encourage you and you can encourage me!
If you're a runner, I'd love for you to share your very best tips for running!



You rock!
ReplyDeleteKind of makes me want to start running!!! Kind of :) lol I do a lot of other workouts, but running has always been something I dislike.
ReplyDeleteWay to go!!! I'm not a lover of running, but I do it be it fits into my schedule and it's free. I love the app 10k trainer by zen labs. It's free, and it starts out alternating between walking and running. Week 1 is walk 90 seconds, run 60 seconds and repeat for 20 minutes. You can play music while you run and the lady just comes on and says "begin walking..." I just stayed at each week (repeating them) until I felt comfortable with what they wanted to me do the next week. I'm now up to a 10k and never thought I'd make it past the first mile. Good luck :)
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome! You go girl!! And we sound soooo much alike. I, too, was the same way in high school. When my met my (now) husband, running was a huge part of his life. He bought me a bike that I would actually ride beside him running. Then he encouraged me to start. It's funny how many years later, I've completed 5ks, 10ks, and a half marathon. And in a very odd way, I do enjoy it. Gasp!
ReplyDeleteKeep it up girl! You are motivation to others~