Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Gretchen is 8!!!

Today, Gretchen turns 8. I'm really excited about her turning 8! It sounds like such a big age, and she reminds me often that she'll be a teenager rather soon! I know as our children get older, moms often have a hard time with it, but this year, I'm just not there yet. She really is growing into a remarkable little lady and I'm so proud of her. 
I mean, it really does feel like we just brought her home from the hospital, but along the way, she's lived an incredible life and has had some amazing experiences. I look at her now, and I definitely don't see the little girl that she once was. She had the most round little face, a dimple in her chin, and those features just aren't there like they were when she was tiny. 
She was the chunkiest out of all of the girls, so when I've watched the little girls grow, I try to think back to our chunky little baby and have found memories of her pudgy cheeks and rolly polly thighs. I blogged about her 1st birthday party here
And then she turned two, and her little diva personality shined even brighter. I remember fondly our trips to the lake that summer and her dancing around and shaking her booty! She started talking more and loved to play with princesses. I blogged about her 2nd birthday in this post
I think when Gretchen turned 3, we hit a turning point. I was pregnant with Megan, it was the year we moved to Tulsa, and she just grew up before my eyes.  Her favorite past times were playing dress up, and singing made up songs while playing on her guitar. We had a Minnie Mouse themed party for her and a few days later, DJ moved to Tulsa while she and I spent the next few months in Indiana waiting on her sister to arrive. I blogged my thoughts about her turning three here, and about her party in several posts: Post 1, Post 2, Post 3,  Post 4, and how it all came together in this post. I will never forget when Gretchen was three and she asked if we could vacuum up her baby sister or send her back where she came from! She definitely had to adjust to being a big sister and moving to a new state. She handled it all so well! 
When Gretchen turned 4 we went all out with a Pirate themed birthday party, because she loved Jake & the Neverland Pirates. I blogged my thoughts on her turning 4 here

When she was four, she started gymnastics and still loved her princesses! She and I went to see the Fresh Beat Band in concert and I loved watching her love for learning grow. 
And, then she turned 5, which might have been the hardest age for me! Once she hit 5, I knew our life would change with her starting kindergarten. She also became a big sister again, and moved upstairs to a giant bedroom! Gretchen wanted an art-themed birthday party, and it may be my favorite party to date! I shared her rainbow-art decorations here, and her party photos in this post. My fondest memory of her 5th year is when she started kindergarten! I'm thankful that DJ was there to help me drop her off that first day. 
Her 6th birthday party was almost cancelled because she got sick a few days before! She powered through though and we had a super fun bounce party that was Sofia the First and Spiderman themed! She invited her entire kindergarten class and was certain that she needed to have a Spiderman themed party as well so the boys would be happy. Well, just one little boy- it was when she was turning 6 that I realized this little boy had stolen her heart! I shared my thoughts on her turning 6 here. She enjoyed playing soccer and starting dance again.
Last year, Gretchen turned 7, and we skipped her birthday party with a promise of a family celebration and a trip to Disney World! I shared my thoughts on her turning 7 here, and her celebrations in this post. When she turned 7, she accepted Jesus in her life, and fell in love with ballet. We moved in to our new house and she became obsessed with her American Girl Dolls. She received the doll of the year for her birthday and then started to read through AG books. Her love for Paris began and her love for reading took off. 
And today, Gretchen turns 8. Right now, she loves to read. She's reading on a 4th grade reading level. She is a great eater! She was once picky as could be and now she eats almost anything. She is sensitive. She is sad that she only has a few close friends, but she also gets along well with everyone! She still loves to dance, although wishes that her classes weren't as serious! She's even more obsessed with her American Girl dolls, and is as girly as a girl can be! She loves wearing dresses and skirts. She has started to play basketball because she also will tell you that she's "sporty".  She loves to draw and journal, but most often, you'll find her reading. She soaks up all information that she can, from history, to reading the Bible, and more. I definitely think she's an old soul. She started to read Anne of Green Gables this past October, and we've been watching the movies. She loves to bake, and is becoming more intentional with her chores! She loves to be silly and still loves to be the center of attention!

I thought it would be fun to do a little Q&A with her too:

1. What is your favorite color? Pink
2. What is your favorite subject in school? Reading
3. What is your least favorite subject in school? Spelling
4. What do you want to be when you grow up? A reporter, teacher or scientist
5. What is your favorite toy? American Girl Doll
6. What is your favorite thing to wear? The new outfit that Gee got me because it makes me look grown up. A skirt and long sleeve shirt with my boots. 
7. What is your favorite TV show? Sofia the First and Bumped
8. Who is your best friend? Ardyn, Violet, Teyah
9.What sport do you like best? Basketball 
10. What is your favorite sport team? Tulsa (because I know you're expecting me) and The Thunder
11. What is your favorite book? Almost all of the ones I've read
12. What are you really good at? Reading
13. Where do you wish you could go on vacation? Paris
14. If you could have one wish, what would it be? To make 200 basketball goals in one day. 
15. What is your favorite food? Candy
16. What is your favorite thing to do with your sisters? Play but it depends. 
17. What is your favorite thing to do with your mommy? Cuddle
18. What is your favorite thing to do with your daddy? Play basketball 
19. If you could meet someone famous who would it be? Teddy Rosevelt the 26th president of the United States
20. What is your favorite song? Shake It Off
21. What is your favorite movie? Star Ward The Force Awakens
22. What is your favorite restaurant? Cherry Berry and Olive Garden

2 comments:

  1. That was a great interview Ace reporter, Mrs. Welte! Gretchen is growing up so fast. I can hear her answers after she pondered on the hard ones. Give her a big birthday hug from me today! Love, Uncle Ron

    ReplyDelete