Friday morning we headed back to Austin for our first game day as Longhorns! I've been looking forward to this weekend for months, because Tulsa was actually playing at Texas. See, back when DJ was working with Tulsa, I told him that I wanted to make this weekend a getaway for myself because I really wanted to experience Texas' game day atmosphere. I just didn't realize that we'd be flipping sides and cheering for Texas this weekend rather than Tulsa.
God likes to do these things to us.
We stopped for doughnuts for breakfast and then stopped at Wendy's for lunch. I've convinced myself that it's better than McDonald's but I'm pretty sure that's not true.
Just north of Waco, we needed a little break and stopped at The Czech Stop for cookies and kolaches.
Once we made it to Austin, we met DJ at the team hotel to pick up his apartment key. We grabbed dinner, picked up some groceries (he has very little food in his apartment), and made our way back to get settled in.
He was going out to see some of his friends on the Tulsa staff, but he stopped by the apartment for goodnight hugs and kisses.
This is how we roll at daddy's apartment.
Saturday morning we woke up and went to see our new Austin house. Our first house in Austin fell through. Long story short, but we were suppose to be moving right now. DJ went for the walk through a few weeks ago, and the house was not ready and quite frankly, looking worse than it had a few weeks ago when we popped in. After doing some research on the builder and in the neighborhood facebook page, we quickly realized we were not the only ones that had had problems and there were a lot of unhappy people. So, we backed out of the house. Which left us scrambling and trying to figure out if we give it a few more weeks, or just rent so we can just get to Austin already.
Thankfully, our realtor is amazing. I can just sing her praises. She totally supported our decision to back out of the first house and quickly went to work finding us a house that was exactly what we wanted. She facetimed me as she walked through them and I fell in love with the third house.
A few days later, DJ went to see it and immediately put a contract on it. We're now working with our bank to transfer the paperwork and should be closing in the next two weeks. So, it delayed us moving, but it's exactly what we wanted.
Again, God has a funny way about working things out.
The girls picked out their bedrooms and planned where everything would go in the bathroom. Ha!
And, I thought it would be fun to take a photo of the girls on the stairs. Just like we had done when we moved in to our current house.
My, these girls have grown!
They're really excited about our new house! We also met a neighbor while we were there, and they have girls right around our girls ages!
We grabbed a quick lunch, and went back to get ready for our first game day as Longhorns! I settled on a solid black tank and a hat since it was suppose to rain.
The girls wore their "hook 'em" shirts that my mom made, hair bows I made, and their American Girl wellie wisher boots, since it was scheduled to rain.
And, since we were playing Tulsa, we were able to see my cousin Max who works for the video department there.
We said good bye to DJ and explored Bevo Blvd.
And y'all, it was hot! I'm so thankful I had decided to wear shorts. I don't know how anyone in Texas wears jeans.
We sat and waited for the band, cheerleaders, and team to arrive.
And, then we finally went in to the stadium. At Texas, we have passes to get on the field before the game, so the girls were excited to be able to see Bevo up close before the game.
We're ready to cheer on the Longhorns!
We walked around the field, really just to explore and figure it out, and the girls were thrilled to see the cheerleaders.
This girl has tumbling and cheering in her heart.
Maybe one day, she'll be tumbling across this field.
DJ came to say hi before he had to head off to work.
Before the game, I took the girls to the babysitting for the coaches kids. I wasn't planning on leaving Gretchen but since it was suppose to rain, she asked if she could stay. And the girls had the best time. I also loved that they could meet a few other coaches kids!
I didn't take many photos during the game, but Texas won, and I thought it would be a fun tradition to get the girls photo in front of the score board.
We made it back to his apartment at midnight and the girls swore up and down that they hadn't had dinner. Which, they had, but it was so late and their day was off, and they were starving. So, at midnight they ate an assortment of fruit, leftover CFA nuggets, and pretzels.
We all slept late on Sunday and woke up to it pouring down rain. And ya know what, it didn't rain a drop on game day! I had fretted and worried about the game getting delayed or even cancelled due to rain, and was prepared to get soaked. Again, God sure does have a sense of humor sometimes.
We debated driving home Sunday or Monday, but opted to go ahead and head home on Sunday. DJ had to work, and since it was raining, there wasn't much we could do, and the girls couldn't be cooped up in DJ's apartment all day either, so we decided to go ahead and drive home.
Our first game day was great! We're ready to cheer on the Longhorns this year!

No comments:
Post a Comment