This year, I've been trying to carve out time to read at least one book a month. I definitely don't read enough, but I'm working to get in to the habit again. I had planned on sharing each book with you, but then I just didn't, so, I'm sharing all the books I've read since February, and hopefully, it's just in time for you to make your Summer reading list!
My mom loaned me Every Breath to read. It's a true story and shows that true love can withstand the test of time. It's a sweet story and you definitely will wish that things were different in the beginning of the two main characters lives. But, we make choices, and we have to live with them. This is an easy read for the beach or plane.
I'm a big fan of Rachel Hollis. Mostly, because she tells it like it is, and I can find myself agreeing with a lot of what she says (more on that in a bit). It took me several weeks to get through Girl Stop Apologizing, but it's because I wanted to really take in every word and chapter and I found myself underlining so much of this book. If you're in to self help book, then I definitely recommend picking this one up.
Now, let me be honest and say, that I know a lot of people don't share many of the same beliefs as Rachel- especially when it comes to her Christian beliefs, but, I felt like I was able to overlook those thoughts when they were shared and really just take away the meat & potatoes of what she was recommending.
I'm kind of in a place, where I'm embracing who I am and my own beliefs, and I shouldn't have to apologize for them. It's what makes me me, and I need to own it. Also, I need to learn to make some time for me, which includes making time to get workouts in, and I felt like this book really helped me realize that I'm important too.
My mom also loaned me Reese Witherspoon's, Whiskey in a Teacup, which really made me embrace my Southern roots. I've learned that I've let go of a lot of the traditions and roots I was raised with, and this book made me want to sit on the porch with my grandmother snapping purple-hull peas or go swimming in the creek with my cousins or even build a fort. I'm so thankful that I was raised in a simpler time, and I'm thankful I was raised in the South. From the church potlucks to big family gatherings, Reese's book just transported me right back to my childhood.
Where the Crawdads Sing is by far the best book I've read in a long time! I actually loaned it to my mom when I was finished reading it. It tells a story of a young girl who grows up in the swamps and learns to care for herself. It follows her through her childhood, teenage years, and through her first romances. There's a shocking little twist at the end, but this was a book I couldn't put down! It took me just a few days to get through it and it was hard to close it at night to get some sleep. I've been recommending this book, to anyone and everyone that has asked for book recommendations!
Okay, I'm down to my last book, but I'm needing some good reads for Summer, so please recommend a few of your favorites to me!

No comments:
Post a Comment