Monday, April 19, 2010

Earth Day: Top 10 Household Products to Avoid

I manage to overlook Earth Day every year, but this year I decided to do something about it! We've made small steps in our house to be more "green", but I'd love to learn about more things that I can do to help protect our environment!

And, I'll share them with you!

I came across on article on FamilyEducation on the top 10 household products to avoid..... drumroll please!

1. Styrofoam cups-Styrofoam is not biodegradable; meaning, it's here forever!
2. Paper Towels and Plastic Utensils- We've switched from using paper towels to cloth napkins, although I still keep the paper towels on hand for cooking hot dogs. This switch took me a while to make, and it took longer to get my husband use to the idea- but it's been well worth it! Plus, it saves us money! If you use plastic utensils, family education suggests that you wash and reuse them or recyle them.
3. Bleached Coffee Filters- These filters contain dioxins, which have been linked to cancer. If you drink coffee or clean with these, like I sometimes do, make sure you purchase an eco-friendly coffee filter.
4. Overpacked food and products- Overpackaged items are those wrapped in excess bubblewrap, or peanuts. Which, can also cost more when shipping a package. If, I've received a package I always try to reuse it for shipping. Just last week, I sent out 2 hair bows in a playtex tampon box, that I had received a free sample in! DJ and I also saved all of our tissue paper, bubble wrap, and newspapers that we used when we moved in September. We crammed them all in a few boxes and stuck them in the attic! I also reuse tissue paper that I receive in birthday gifts for shipping items, and I save all of my gift bags to reuse them!
5. Tropical Hardwoods- This may hurt the decorator in us, but try buying environmentally friendly wood, such as bamboo.
6. Household Cleaners- Alright, I know what you're saying, "what on earth should I clean my house with?" Vinegar works wonders and you can find 1001 tips for vinegar use on this website. Last summer, I made an attempt to make all of my household cleansers, and did well for a while, until I started back to work- this summer I'm going to attempt it again! Baking soda also does wonder on tub scum!
7. High Octane Gas- releases polutants in the air, so try to use the lowest grade possible for your car. Better yet, ride your bike or carpool!
8. Toys made with pvc plastic- Not only is PVC the least recycled plastic, but it also contains vinyl chloride which is a human carcinogen. PVC also contains other dangerous additives.
9. Incandescent lightbulbs- I know these are expensive, but it's great to go years without changing a light bulb! We worked slowly to switch over the lights in our previous house, and again, we're slowly switching over the lights in our new house. I hate to throw those away, but overtime our house will be fully lit with CFL bulbs. You can often find coupons for CFL bubs on Target's website.
10. Batteries- This is the big one that I'm guily of; throwing away batteries once they've died. Which, can lead to them leaking harmful chemicals into our ground water. You can purchase eco-friendly batteries, or take them to a battery recycling center. I've noticed a few drop boxes at our local post office, and my neighbor actually works at a battery recylcing center- so I'll be taking mine to his house!

I'd love for you to share your tips along with these! And, I'll be doing some more research this week to share more tips with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment