Thursday, January 26, 2023

Gretchen's 15!

It's hard to believe that this little girl came in to our lives 15 years ago and changed our entire world. 
A few days ago, I was really trying to remember if I enjoyed the stage of having little babies. Part of me feels like we were so busy, trying to learn how to navigate life, managing work, figuring out our family, taking time for myself... all the things- did I really enjoy having babies?

Because babies are hard! I will always remember when Gretchen was 7 months old and she was crying in the middle of the night. DJ was away at a football game and I was just exhausted. I called him at 2 am, because I just didn't know what to do, and I guess somehow I thought he could help.
As I was total mom-guilting myself in to thinking that I didn't enjoy having babies and that time when they were little, I started looking back through pictures and the memories just flooded in. And gosh, I did enjoy it. 

I remember my mom asksing me what stage was my favorite and I would always say- I really like this stage. "All of them" really became my favorite answer, and I really do think I enjoyed every stage.
She's been a teenager for a few years, and 15 is a big one! This is the year she's going to learn to drive a car. Maybe this will be the year she has a first date or a first kiss. But gosh can I just say how thankful I am that she isn't boy crazy- ha! 

I really am enjoying this stage too!

Gretchen is kind and thoughtful. She has a big heart and is always willing to help. She loves theater and the stage. She loves school. She has her head on her shoulders in ways that I couldn't have imagined when I was 15. Her high school classes are planned out. She has her eyes on a few collages; she wants to go to law school. 

She loves God, and gosh that's my biggest parenting win ever. All of the girls have accepted Christ and have been baptized. She loves church and the activities. 

She has an amazing group of core friends. We've talked about how friendships will come and go while she's in high school, and she told me "as long as I have these 4, i'll be okay." Her perspective just blows me away. 

Gretchen, we love you big 

No comments:

Post a Comment