Surviving a football game with a toddler in tow isn't the easiest task to accomplish. You can just ask me or any of our football coaches wives, as we do it throughout many weekends in the fall. I, in fact, have done it 3 out of 4 weekends in September, and will be doing it at least two more times in October!
Over the last three football seasons, my "Surviving the Game" technique has greatly improved! Now, if you're lucky enough that your husband isn't a diehard and he'll be there to help you, then, let's just say, "I'm completly jealous." My husband, on the other hand, is on the sidelines, and editing the game film before the game is even over!

First, make sure you have plenty of these:

Helpers, that is! Now, i'm not fortunate enough to have family close by, but on this particular game day, we had family that was actually there! I love when our families get to come to a game, because, I get to actually watch most of it! If you don't have family, think about who sits around you that can be a good help- or, consider bringing a babysitter.

Next, buy popcorn. This box was huge, and only cost about $3.00. It lasted Gretchen the ENTIRE football game! Now, I do realize that food at a ball game can be expensive. So, here's what I do..... at our home stadium, it's fairly easy to sneak in snacks. I make sure they're hidden in the bottom of our game bag or stuffed into a blanket, coat pockets, etc. I also take her sippy cup. I fill it with dilluted juice before the game, and then i'll add water throughout the game. I also try to make sure that Gretchen and myself have eaten before the game. We either tailgate or eat before we leave the house. If for some reason, we weren't able to eat, I buy nachos and a hot dog that we share!

You'll also want to make sure that your child isn't deathly afraid of one of these.... the dreaded mascot that's only mission is to scare, I mean, bring joy to all of the young fans in the crowd. Gretchen is seriously siked out by our mascot, Charlie..... She can talk about him, she knows he says "tweet, tweet", but, Lord help us if he gets even this close to us! Let's just say, she yells louder than the cheerleaders when she sees him. So, be on lookout duty for this scary guy! And, distract your child when he's near.

And, my most favorite trick of all- a portable DVD player! Make sure that it's charged and bring 1 or 2 of your childs favorite movies. Don't expect your child to stay glued to it, like they may at home. There are tons of distractions at a football game, but it can at least get you through a few minutes of sanity. If your child is older, make sure you have headphones.
If you're potty training a toddler, then make sure you have a change of clothes, and frequent the bathroom as often as possible!
Dedicate a bag to game day survival- put in pom poms, megaphones, clappers, snacks, a blanket, books, crayons, a coloring book, and other smaller toys that won't be too heavy for you to carry. If you're child is older, let them have a small backpack that they can carry!
Remember, that if the game is during your child's nap time, that you may need to be prepared to go late or leave early.
Using all or some of these tips will make your game time much more enjoyable! Go Team!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment