6 weeks after our epic camping trip has come to end, I'm finally writing our very last wrap up post. We spent 16 days traveling through 4 states, exploring mining towns, waterfalls, cities, mountains, wildlife, and lakes. And on our last leg of the trip, we visited a ranch and a canyon.
I like to think that traveling home with two kids was easier than traveling with three. While the 4 of us headed home, Gretchen was off in Glacier with my parents. We spent a night in Fort Collins, Colorado, and in Pueblo, Colorado before driving in to New Mexico, and finally, back in Amarillo.
We had plans to stop at Cadillac Ranch on our first stop through Amarillo, but we didn't have time, so it was definitely a must stop for us on the way home. We grabbed our cans of spray paint and walked to the ranch.
And it was muddy! So muddy, in fact, we were only able to reach one car thanks to a spray paint can bridge that had been made.
We each took turns spray painting the cadillacs.
It was one of those bucket list things that we definitely had to do at least once. Now, I wouldn't go out of my way to stop here, but if you're in the area, I'd definitely take the time to stop.
Since you couldn't reach the cars, people were spray painting the ground... and the corn that surrounds the ranch, and I just thought to myself, "I hope people don't eat this corn."
After our stop at Cadillac Ranch, we made our way over to Palo Duro Canyon.
and it was breathtaking.
We wanted to stop here, to scope it out for a future trip. The canyon has a ton of hiking, and even a stage show about the history of Texas. We opted to skip the performance, and I'm glad we did, because the mosquitos here were fierce and the show is outside.
Once the camper was set up, the girls played a round of Uno. It's one of their favorite games to play while we're on trips!
It was HOT when we arrived at the canyon, and we thought about hiking, but it was also closer to dinner time than we had anticipated. We opted to drive around, and get out for some small stops along the way.
I may have also been terrified that we'd come across a rattle snake if we went hiking.
We did get out and DJ and the girls walked up to the inlet that was in the side of the hill. I wore berkinstocks (since we weren't planning on hiking) and decided to not make the climb.
We drove back up to the top for a few more views.
And then we headed back to our campsite so we could eat dinner. I was relaxing in one of our chairs, the girls were inside playing cards, and DJ was grilling, when I looked down and saw a tarantula! I let him know that we would be eating dinner inside that night, and after we went back outside after dinner, we saw at least 6 more! They were all coming out of their holes to eat and none of us were excited about it!
Palo Duro is a beautiful park, and I'm sure the hiking there is wonderful! It's on our list of places we would travel to in early spring- before snakes and tarantulas get out!
The next day, July 9, we woke up and made the trek home! It had been a wonderful vacation and we are so thankful for all of the memories we made!








No comments:
Post a Comment