I need to purchase some more diapers, because I'm on a two day wash cycle right now. But, I do have about 5 diapers that MC is too little for, and two that she is growing out of.
I first do a cold wash with no detergent. I just let it run through a regular wash cycle. I just started to switch the soil level higher, because I don't have my diaper sprayer hooked up yet and because some of my diapers are starting to stain.
Once the cold wash is finished, I do a hot wash with a cold rinse and 1 tablespoon of Rockin Green detergent. My LG washer, allows me to add a second rinse cycle automatically. Sometimes, I do another rinse cycle, but it depends on the time I have.
We also just read the manual on our washer last night, and discovered that after the cold wash cycle, that I could set it to do a hot/cold wash, followed by two rinse cycles, by using a button for extra-soiled clothes. This way, i'm not keeping up with it, and it should do all of my rinse cycles automatically. I just tried this out tonight, but I'm thinking it'll work well. The downfall is that it takes an hour and forty minutes to go through this entire cycle.
After all of my washing is finished, I throw everything in the dryer. Most things have to go through two times, but not everything. The hemp and prefolds almost always do though.
When everything is dry, I throw it all in a laundry basket, and bring it to my couch where I sit and re-stuff. Then, it all goes back in the baskets by the changing table and we start all over again!
I'll admit the worst part is putting everything into the washer and trying not to breathe. For some reason, I never imagined the smell of soiled diapers. But, everything else, I don't mind. The washing process is getting easier and easier, and despite the few stains, everything is coming clean.
I will be trying to sun my diapers in the next week, so i'll let y'all know how that turns out!
Don't forget to click on the link on the right side bar for the GoGreen diaper giveaway! It ends on Thursday (yup, that's tomorrow!) I'm about to be ordering a few more of these diapers myself!
So you want more diapers so you can go more days between washes?
ReplyDeleteI found that even with a big stash I still do best washing every other day. otherwise, the wash load is too big, and things don't get as clean, and start to have stink issues earlier.