Friday afternoon, I checked the girls out of school early, so we could head to Ft. Worth for the weekend. Since the championship game was early on Saturday (kickoff was 11 am) I knew that we had to get there at a decent time on Friday to be able to explore, and I also knew that traffic from Austin to Dallas would be horrendous if we waited to drive up after school.
Since the team stayed in Ft. Worth, I decided to take the girls to the stockyards.
We went to Ft. Worth in 2011 for a bowl game, but for some reason, I knew nothing of the stockyards back then. We spent so much time couped up in that hotel room with nothing to do. I'm pretty sure I only knew about the stockyards thanks to this past season of Real Housewives of Dallas.
We made it to Ft. Worth around 3:40, which was just in time for the cattle drive at 4. We found a spot on the sidewalk to watch the cattle drive, and the girls were asking the cowboys about their spurs.
They even brought over a horse for the girls to pet.
No one was allowed to sit on the sidewalk during the cattle drive, so once it started, everyone stood, and there was plenty of room to see.
I shot video on Instagram of the cattle drive, so I only took this picture at the very end. Sorry, it's of their rears!
We've seen Bevo up close this football season, but these Longhorns had some seriously long horns.
After the cattle drive, we went inside to watch a little gun show.
Poor Megan was terrified of how loud the guns were going to be.
Thankfully, there were shops and benches right behind us, so I told the girls if the guns were too loud, that we could go there. And thankfully, the guns didn't scare the girls too much and we watched the entire show.
In the end, the bad guys were "shot" and all was well.
And we were able to take pictures with the actors afterwards.
They were super kind and gave the girls little cards with their picture on them as a souvenir.
We strolled through a few shops, visited Cowboy Santa, and went out to the streets.
There were a few longhorns on the street, that you could get on for a few minutes.
Of course, we had to throw our Hook 'ems.
Addy wasn't so sure at first, but she eventually warmed up.
Hook 'em horns!
Gretchen's arms are way shorter than the longhorns horns!
We visited the Christmas tree in front of the stockyard building.
And then we walked to Joe T. Garcia's.
I had so many facebook friends recommend this restaurant to us, but I wouldn't recommend walking from the stockyards! (I just didn't want to move the car and repay for parking.)
Gretchen and I shared the enchilada plate.
This was her face when she realized she had eaten jalepenos.
Megan and Adalyn both had cheese quesadillas.
We walked back to the stockyards and went to the rode gift shop.
We debated staying for the rodeo, but it started at 8, and I knew we would have to wake up early Saturday morning for the game.
We visited the petting zoo and fed little goats before we made our way to the hotel.
They were so cute, and my inner farm girl came out.
So did hers.
Saturday morning we were up bright and early and ready for Game Day!!!!
Traffic around AT&T stadium was horrendous, but we found our parking spot and made our way inside.
These screens scrolled through pictures of the mascots, so we took our picture with Bevo, which has become a game day tradition.
DJ met us and took us over to our seats. We didn't have pre game field access, so this was the closest to the field we could get before the game, but we had great seats right off the field.
I had all the emotions for this game. I'm a nervous wreck when it comes to big game days, and my girls told me I was a "little crazy." We yelled and cheered our hearts out, and I was just super proud of DJ and the hard work he has put in to his career to get us to this level.
The bands took the field pregame, and made a Bevo XV formation.
And this girl really got in to the game spirit!
Typically on game days, she's inside for babysitting...so this was really her first game day experience with Texas.
and she loved every minute of it.
Megan loved being close to the cheerleaders and cheering like they do.
The game wasn't in our favor, but our boys played hard and played well.
Now on to our bowl game.
No comments:
Post a Comment