With just a few days left until Halloween, I figured that you all would be wanting the tutorial to Gretchen's Halloween bucket that I'm making. I've had the supplies for most of the month, but the time I have not!
I really wanted Gretchen to have an adorable bucket. One that would last a long time. I almost purchased a monogrammed pumpkin bucket from
Lillian Vernon, but then I saw an adorable one featured on "
A Blonde Ambition." Thanks to that post, my wheels started turning, and I began to browse through
Etsy. I found some adorable buckets
here and decided that I could make my own! (Note- the bucket on the link uses stickers- you could use these instead of paint/stenciling. Also, check out the other creative ways she uses her buckets- you can bet that I'll be doing this again for Christmas!)
Let's begin....

Step 1: Purchase a white paint can from Hobby Lobby (about $6.00, but don't forget their 40% off coupons!). You can also use a silver paint can.

Step 2: If the paint can has a finish on it, you will need to remove it. Quickly rough up the bucket using steel wool. Don't use sand paper as it will scratch. Wash off the residue and let dry or wipe dry with a hand towel.

Step 3: Purchase a stencil. I got mine from Hobby Lobby for $1.00, and tape into place.

Step 4: Purchase a variety of paints. Again, I purchased mine from Hobby Lobby. These are permanent paints in orange, purple, and black. They were each less than $1.00

Step 5: Purchase a good stencil brush. Put a small amount of paint onto a paper plate, dip your brush in, but blot off the excess amount. Then, paint your stencil. Be careful to not let the paint drip or bleed. Believe me, this is easier said than done.

Step 6: Remove stencil whe the paint is dry- be patient! I've forgotten to upload some pictures here, so let's just make do for now. If you have paint that has dripped, then take a wet q-tip and wipe it off. Also have a cloth ready so you can wipe off the water. If you notice some white spots on the letters, then you can repaint over them using the q-tip. My brush was too big, but the q-tip worked perfectly.

Step 7: Turn the bucket around. I purchased a set of stencil letters, to personalize the bucket. You probably want to measure and make sure that your name will be level. I however, prefer to eyeball everything! With this stencil, I am having to paint one letter at a time. When it dries, I will take the stencil off and re-set it. You might be able to find a way to stencil without having to take off and re-tape. I didn't completly think it through, but my way will work fine too.
Alright, this is enough to get you started- I know Halloween is 4 days away!
I'll post the finishing touches in the next day or two.
oh this is so cute. Im going to have to try this!!!
ReplyDeleteIf you would like come check out my blog and enter my current giveaway at littlemissheirlooms.blogspot.com
I hope you decided to follow me because I try to bring my readers a new and AMAZING giveaway every Monday!
Xo
Priscila
Thanks- i'll check out your blog!
ReplyDeleteCute project. Thanks for linking up.
ReplyDelete