If you've been following along here for some time now, you know that we love Essential Oils in our house!
I'm taking baby steps to get rid of toxic products that we use to use, and revamping what I've already been using in my attempts to "go green".
Several years ago, I heard about an "oil cleansing method" and washing your face with coconut oil. As soon as I researched the ingredients in popular skin care lines, I was out. I started to use coconut oil and I haven't looked back.
Once I began using essential oils, I learned which oils are best for skin and anti-aging, and I started incorporating oils and making my own face wash.
I start with a 1/2 jar of coconut oil, and add about 1 tablespoon of baking soda. I really don't measure the baking soda, and I've had so many of y'all ask for my recipe, so really, it's just a guesstimate! I add baking soda to help with the scrubbing and unclogging of my pores.
Then, I add about 5 drops of some of my favorite essential oils.
Every time I make my face wash, I change up the oils a bit. This was the first time I added Tea Tree and Grapefruit oil.
Tea Tree oil can help with the "bumps" that appear on your face- mine typically appear during that time of the month.
Lavender essential oil helps to improve circulation, and minimize the "bumps" as well. Lavender is also antiseptic and antifungal, and can be used to treat wrinkles.
Copaiba's active components can help to tighten the skin, reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
Grapefruit essential oils is helpful in treating oily skin and again those pesky little "bumps"
Once I add in my drops of chosen essential oil, I use a wire whisk, and whip everything together, and then store in a glass jar.
My homemade face wash lasts 4-6 weeks, and costs about $6.00 to make.
And just so you can see how well it works, I made a little video.
And just so you can see how well it works, I made a little video.
This past weekend, I realized my make up brushes needed a major cleaning! Thankfully, I have heard that Thieves cleaner does a fabulous job with little work on my part!
I filled a bowl with warm water, and then one capful of Thieves cleaner and a few drops of Tea Tree oil.
I put my brushes right in the water and immediately the make up turned the water cloudy. I let my brushes soak most of the day.
In the evening, I just took them out of the bowl, rinsed them under running water, and layed them out to dry.
I rubbed the brush on this towel, and couldn't find any make up residue left behind. My brushes are so clean!
I've been super happy with my face and skin care routines since adding essential oils in to the mix! If you have any questions I'd love to answer them for you!
And, to find out if you're skin care products contain toxins, you can download the Think Dirty app and scan the barcode on your products!







No comments:
Post a Comment