Sunday, April 3, 2011

Choosing Childcare: Questions to Ask

I think one of the most daunting tasks as a working mother is to find appropriate childcare for your little one. I was so relieved that I wouldn't have to worry about it with this pregnancy. Gretchen has a wonderful in-home sitter that we've used since she was 7 months old, so I immediately told her that we'd be adding another baby come next August when I planned on going back to work.

Then, we decided to move. So, I'm starting all over again, and let me tell you, it's hard! I remember looking for in-home sitters when I was pregnant with Gretchen and I would cry every time I left someone's house. Until I met Michelle, our current sitter. I knew she'd be 'the one' because I didn't cry leaving her house. Turns out that we actually attend the same church, even though we were not attending there at the time.

While we were in Oklahoma over spring break, I went in and checked out a few of the daycares/preschools that I had found online. I made phone calls before hand, and thanks to the internet I did a lot of research to prepare for my trip. I was able to knock a few out based on price alone. I also crossed a few off the list that didn't have the times I was looking for. I knew that I wanted a place that would have a preschool type curriculum for Gretchen, but that could also keep the baby as well, but I needed to make sure that they had extended hours until 6 and that they were open year-round. I also knew that I wanted to go look at Christian preschools rather than your typical state operated, chain daycare.

I participate in an expecting moms message board, and this topic was brought up a lot at the beginning of our pregnancies. I didn't pay too much attention to the posts because I wouldn't have to worry. I offered to share my list of interview questions with these expecting moms, only to find that I had deleted it off my computer since I wouldn't be looking for childcare.

As part of my pre-planning, I had to type up another list, so I thought I'd share it here, to be an easy reference to any expecting moms, and so I could look back to it as well.

Here's my list of questions for center-based childcare (yes, I have a seperate one for home-based & i'll get to that in a seperate post). Please note that this list is not exhaustive & you may need to add your own individual preferences- for example, we will cloth diaper & make our own baby food, so I need a center that will be okay with that as well.

Interview Questions
· Is there a waiting list & how long is it?
· What is the enrollment fee? · Price for a 3 year old per week? o For 4 days a week? o For 3 days a week?
· Price for a 4 month old per week?
o For 4 days a week?
o For 3 days a week?
· What are your hours?
· What is the holiday schedule?
· What other days are you closed?
· How & when do you bill?
· Do caregivers have 1st aid-CPR and child development training?
· What is the ratio per classroom? o Infants o 3 year olds
· What activities are available for, what is the schedule, what is the curriculum for: o Infants o 3 year olds
· What is your discipline policy?
· Outside playground? How often do kids play outside? At what temperature do kids stay inside?
· Do you take children off-site?
· Can I provide my own meals for the 3 year old?
· How are bottles stored? Breast milk? Baby food? (how is it defrosted) o Can I bring homemade babyfood?
· Can we use cloth diapers, cloth wipes?
· How often are diapers changed, and changing tables disinfected?
· Do children have their own assigned bed & cot for naps?
· Where is food prepared? (observe cleanliness of kitchen)
· What is your sick policy? And, what is your policy for giving medicine?
· Do children watch t.v.?
· Are emergency exits clearly marked?
· Must children be immunized? Flu shots?
· Are the classrooms child proof; outlets? · How often are toys cleaned?
· How are children released?

No comments:

Post a Comment