All of my girls were born with a head full of hair. Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen so much hair on a baby, and the amount of hair they have and still have is just crazy! It's crazy fun!
I really didn't expect for Gretchen to have a lot of hair. The wives tale, that heartburn during pregnancy causes hair growth is totally true in my case. Out of all the girls, Gretchen had the most, and Adalyn has the least. Gretchen's hair grew the fastest.
Since the girls were born, I really had to figure out hair care early on and figure out which products work for us.
So that my friends, is what today's "Girl Mom" is all about!
When Gretchen was little we used Johnsons & Johnsons, then I learned from my hair dresser that the chemicals in J&J actually can strip the hair of natural oils, and then I found out it also contained harmful chemicals and we stopped using it immediately.
When Megan was born, we started using Burts Bee's, and Suave products. Then I started to experiment with products because both girls had dry skin and eczema.
We then switched to California Baby, and I love their products! I love that it's a shampoo and body wash in one and I love that it's natural. The girls haven't had problems with eczema since switching them to CB.
I also use my regular conditioner in their hair to help decrease tangles.
A few years ago, a friend recommended the Knot Genie brush to me. I bought two when they were discounted on Zulily, but you can buy them from Amazon.
We use Suave tangle spray on their hair before brushing. I like it because it's cheap!
I don't bother drying the girls hair. I only dry their hair if we give them baths on Sunday morning, and I only blow dry Gretchen's hair.
Gretchen's hair was rarely cut when she was little. In fact, her first hair cut, wasn't until she was a little over 3 years old. She had the best little curls, and once I cut her hair, her curls were gone. We continued to let her hair grow, until she was almost five, and we decided together that we would donate 8 inches of her hair to Pantene's program.
Since then, her hair has always been shoulder length, and we've not been successful at letting it get long again.
Sometimes, I let her go to bed with her hair in pink sponge rollers, so her hair will be curly.
She still has a little wave in the back of her hair, so if I want her hair to look nice (events, church, pictures), then I'll straighten the wave out with my hair straightener.
Megan has the best little curls all over her head, and we have yet to cut her hair. She will be three at the end of May, and if we go by what Gretchen did, Megan should get her hair cut in June or July. I however, am not ready to let her curls go, so we'll just keep letting her hair grow.
I'm also terrified of how she'll react to getting a hair cut, and I just imagine us getting half way through and her freaking out. So, until she's older and can fully grasp what we're doing, her hair is staying long.
She can go to bed with her hair wet, and wake up with the bet curls.
Adalyn's hair is the shortest of all the girls. Her hair is long in the front, with a huge comb-over to the side, and very short in the back. None of the girls got a bald spot from laying on their heads when they were babies, and none of them lost their hair, so I'm expecting for Adalyn's hair to be just as long as her big sisters. I could put it in a little pony tail already if I wanted to.
We use these Goody Ouchless pony tail holders from Target. I love that they are clear, or lightly colored, and they hold just the right amount of hair. If I'm pulling their hair back into a ponytail, I have to use an adult size rubber band on Gretchen's hair because it is so thick. Megan's hair can be put into a ponytail with just these little rubber bands.
When it comes to styling their hair, I style it the same way pretty much every single day. Adalyn always gets a headband or a bow. Now that she's older and her hair is longer, she doesn't need a headband to hold in a bow. I just started pulling Megan's hair back a bit over the last year. Gretchen's hair gets pulled back as well. The girls have never had bangs. My hair stylist didn't recommend bangs, saying that it cuts off their face, and I went with it, and we've never cut them.
If I change up their hair style, it's a headband for Gretchen, ponytail, or pigtails. It's a shame that having three girls, and I barely know how to braid, let alone a french braid.
Of course, the girls always have a bow in their hair! It's very rare that they go without, and because of their hair, hair bows have grown into my passion. We have quite a collection! You can find my bows here.
Have any tips or tricks to share about styling your daughter's hair? Leave me a comment below! Favorite products? Let me know!









No comments:
Post a Comment